Spring '09 Challenge list:
1. Read a Western (United States)- historical or contemporary
The Princess Goes West by Nan Ryan - read 3/11 ***
Reckless Love by Elizabeth Lowell - audio finished 4/16 *****
2. Read a book set in Scotland- historical or contemporary
Shadow Music by Julie Garwood read 3/9 ***
So Enchanting by Connie Brockway read 3/20 *****
3. Title contains Sun, Moon, or Stars (Moonlight, Starlight, etc, is ok!)
Pale Moon Rider by Marsha Canham read 3/7 ***** New Favorite!!
Across a Moonlit Sea by Marsha Canham finished 4/20 ***** Another Favorite!!
4. Title contains Angel or Devil
Lord John and the Hand of the Devils by Diana Gabaldon finished 4/6 ****
Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas finished 5/10 **** audio
5. Read any title by one of the first romance authors you ever read (or reread one of the first romance titles you ever read)
Birthright by Nora Roberts - 3/1 *****
Sea Swept by Nora Roberts - 5/16 *****
6. Title or Cover makes you think of Spring:
Black Rose by Nora Roberts, #2 in the In The Garden trilogy, read 3/13 ***
Spring Rain by Susan Weldon - finished 3/29 - *
7. Readers Choice:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - finished audio 3/31 - **
Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh - 3/31 ****
8. Select a book that has been marked favorite or 5 stars from another group member's shelf
Cindy W has Judith James' Broken Wing on her favorites - my rating is ****, read 3/3
Joni U has Suzanne Brockmann's Heartthrob on her favorites - my rating is ****, finished 4/8
9. Read an AAR top 100 title
Since I have 25 to go, I'm sure I can find something for this category!
For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale - finished 3/17 ****
The Duke by Gaelen Foley - finished 4/22 - *****
10. Title contains the word "Secret" or “Lie” in it
Let Sleeping Rogues Lie by Sabrina Jeffries (School for Heiresses #4) *** read 4/6/09
Sex, Lies and Online Dating by Rachel Gibson - re-read 3/23/09 *****
11. Read a title that was read and reviewed during the Winter Challenge
Dark Lover by J. R. Ward, reviewed 1/15 by Heather, and it's a series and an AAR Top 100
Flat Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy, reviewed 2/10 by Debbie, and it's gotten a lot of buzz
12. Read a book with a Romeo and Juliet type theme (feuding family/clan/etc): H/H have to be on opposite sides of the feud
Untamed by Pamela Clare - read 3/3 ***** (French and Indian War, she's French, he fights for the British)
My top 2 picks are:
Velvet Angel by Jude Deveraux (I have one in this series already)
The Wedding by Julie Garwood
The Gift by Julie Garwood might also fit
The AAR list "Best Enemies" doesn't differentiate between family feud and just enemies-into-lovers so I'm stumped. Here's some things I found:
Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson 9780446699457 / 0446699454
Dear Author has a review for His Captive Lady by Carol Townsend that appears to be a Norman v Saxon medieval feud
Lucky In Love by Rebecca Robbins "A lady whose marriage to a duke was arranged to settle a feud between their families vows never to give him her heart." isbn 0380774852
On PBS I got recommendations for Joan Johnston's Bitter Creek series: The Cowboy, The Loner, The Texan and some others. Also Hannah Howell's Amber Flame and Julie Garwood's The Secret (already read this).
Another Challenger is reading Laird of the Mist by Paula Quinn
Hold the Presses - a PBSer suggested this link of titles that fit this category from Romantic Times!
13. Read a trilogy (or 3 books from same series) Part 1
Forever Blue by Suzanne Brockmann - finished 3/5 ***** (Tall, Dark and Dangerous)
Second Chance Pass by Robyn Carr - finished 3/11 **** (#5 in Virgin River series)
14. Read a trilogy (or 3 books from same series) Part 2
Frisco's Kid by Suzanne Brockmann - finished 3/11/09 ***** (#3 Tall Dark and Dangerous)
Temptation Ridge by Robyn Carr - finished 3/22/09 - **** (#6 in Virgin River)
15. Read a trilogy (or 3 books from same series) Part 3
Spring Challenge FAQ’s March 1 – May 31
1. Select 5,10, or 15 books to read that fit the category.
2. Post your list on the discussion board and blog (Name’s Spring Challenge List)
3. If you need title suggestions please use the Discussion titled Spring TITLE SUGGESTIONS
4. Once you have read a book please find the corresponding discussion by searching you can search by 08 Winter # and use the number that corresponds with the list and post the book and title you read and rating, and review.
5. It is not required, but if you could post your review on the blog that would be great.
6. Reviews on the blog please include labels list the rating, author, and # of challenge only.
7. Audio books are okay
8. Rereads are okay
9. You can change your list at anytime
**Thank you to Heather D and Roberta for making the list!**