Friday, October 17, 2008

Another Top 100 list - The Essential Man's Library

Well, in my New Quest to find Top 100 Lists, I ran across a blog entitled The Art of Manliness, where The Essential Man's Library is published. It's a list of 100 Must-Read books "that have shaped the lives of individual men while also helping define broader cultural ideas of what it means to be a man." The list was published in May 2008.

I haven't yet gotten this list in a format I can easily peruse (working on it), since the bloggers have posted rather large photos of book covers for each entry, but the list itself is very intriguing. Not being a man, maybe I don't need to read them? But I do want to see how I stack up against Essential Manly Reading!

It's not only an interesting list, the bloggers have also published thumbnail descriptions of each book, so it's really a great resource for listers like me.

I've marked in RED the ones I've read.

The Essential Man's Library from the Art of Manliness Blog

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
3. Slaughter-house Five by Kurt Vonnegut
4. 1984 by George Orwell
5. The Republic Of Plato: Second Edition by Plato
6. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
7. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
8. The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
9. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
10. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
11. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
12. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
13. How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
14. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
15. The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
16. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann D. Wyss
17. The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
18. The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer
19. Catch-22: A Novel by Joseph Heller
20. Walden by Henry David Thoreau
21. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
22. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
23. Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut
24. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
25. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

more to come... (10 of 25 read! Not bad, although most were done as required reading in school, and I can't say I recall a helluva lot about them.)

No comments: