Monday, June 1, 2009

AAR's Best of 2008 Quest

OK, another challenge for me: the winners of the Best of 2008 at AAR. I have read 9.

I have this theory that I need to sort of "catch up" with romance readers in general before voting in these types of polls, which is one reason I am reading all the AAR Top 100 of 2007. Since I really only started reading in the genre a little less than 2 years ago, I feel like I need to have read a lot of the popular books and authors to get an idea of how things stack up. Do I like books more (or possibly less?) after having read a number of those books considered the best? Do I gain a better understanding of what is good and what isn't? Or do I still react the way I would if I just picked it up, having never read a romance before?

I dunno. But I do feel I can give a better review and comparison if I have more books under my belt.

So without further ado, here is the list:

Best 2008 Romance Novels (from AAR)
Best Romance The Spymaster's Lady, Joanna Bourne
Best Contemporary Romance Blue-Eyed Devil, Lisa Kleypas - 5/10/2009 ****
Best Romantic Suspense Death Angel, Linda Howard - 9/1/2008 *****
Best Paranormal Romance Lover Enshrined, J.R. Ward
Honorable Mentions - tie Dark Desires after Dusk, Kresley Cole
Mine to Possess, Nalini Singh
Best Historical Romance Set in the U.K. The Spymaster's Lady, Joanna Bourne
Honorable Mention Private Arrangements, Sherry Thomas - 8/5/2008 ****
Best Historical Romance Not Set in the U.K. Your Scandalous Ways, Loretta Chase - 7/7/2008 *****
Funniest Romance Not Another Bad Date, Rachel Gibson - 6/25/2008 *****
Honorable Mentions – tie Like No Other Lover, Julie Anne Long
The Lost Duke of Wyndham, Julia Quinn - 6/11/2008 ***
Just One of the Guys, Kristan Higgins
Biggest Tearjerker Blue-Eyed Devil, Lisa Kleypas 5/10/2009 ****
Honorable Mention Broken Wing, Judith James - 3/3/2009 ****
Best Love Scenes (in a Mainstream Romance) - tie To Seduce a Sinner, Elizabeth Hoyt - 2/24/2009 ****
Your Scandalous Ways, Loretta Chase - 7/7/2008 *****
Honorable Mention To Taste Temptation, Elizabeth Hoyt - 1/25/2009 ***
Best Debut Author Sherry Thomas
Best Series Romance A Most Unconventional Match, Julia Justiss
Best Chick Lit/Women's Fiction Just One of the Guys, Kristan Higgins
Honorable Mentions – tie Queen of Babble Gets Hitched, Meg Cabot
Remember Me, Sophie Kinsella
Best Erotica Wicked Burn, Beth Kery
Honorable Mention Dangerous Secrets, Lisa Marie Rice
Best Romance Short Story From This Moment On in It Happened One Night, Candice Hern
Honorable Mention Spellbound in It Happened One Night, Mary Balogh
Guiltiest Pleasure Romance Lover Enshrined, J.R. Ward

No comments: